The Regency Reviewer

This is a school project for a journalism class that takes a look at dorm life at The Regency, student housing for the Auraria Campus in Denver, Colorado. This blog is in no way affiliated with The Regency.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Can a college change it's name?

You’ll notice that in the next few days, I’ll be posting much more, many of those posts being one right after the other as I scramble to make my post count before deadline. So just as a warning, some of the stuff I’m posting should have been posted earlier. Forgive me if I post about topics that happened weeks ago, though not all of them will go that far back.

Just a few days ago, in fact, I was riding the trusty Regency shuttle back home from school when I overheard something interesting. On the shuttle were two high-ranking Metro administrators that I had recognized from the night before at Metro’s annual scholarship dinner. No one but Regency residents are supposed to ride the Regency shuttle, but the administrators said they had a meeting at our dorms. Who the meeting was with or what it was about I have no idea, but I did hear something interesting in their quiet conversation. I think the Metropolitan State College of Denver is considering changing its name to Denver State College, or possibly Denver State University. At first I thought it was odd, since Denver isn’t a state, but then one of the administrators pointed out to the other that it’s not uncommon for a city’s university to be named that, i.e.: Mesa State, which I believe is located in southern Colorado.

And as for the changing of College to University, it’s well known that Metro is one of the most populated commuter/diversified colleges in the nation, it’s about time we achieved University status.

Whether that’s what the meeting was about, I’m not sure. But I think University status would be a great nod to Metro and increase its reputation.

Who knows, if it happens, maybe more people will stay at the Regency. I know that UCD is considering making it a requirement for incoming freshmen to stay at the Auraria Campus’ second student housing communitee, Campus Village. Maybe the same thing can happen here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home